Take That!
-----------------------------------------
Advice for helping elect next premier is arrogant, undemocratic
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
I am astonished at the arrogance displayed by many Alberta Tories, including Gary McPherson ("You don't have to be a lifelong Tory to have a say in choosing next premier," Letters, July 24), in suggesting that non-PC Party members should take out party memberships in order to vote for the next premier.
Isn't that what general elections are for?
Only in the elected dictatorship that is Alberta would anyone suggest that the only influence voters have is through the internal leadership process.
McPherson baldly asserts that the PC leadership is the only opportunity voters will get to have their say -- what a shocking indictment of the political system in this province!
I should also point out that the Alberta NDP, in its constitution, requires members to sign an undertaking that they are not "members or supporters of any other political party." This means that New Democrats could not keep their NDP memberships if they were to sign PC cards. I expect that many other political parties have similar provisions (indeed, I would not want to be a member of a party that did not).
Jerry Macdonald, Grande Prairie
© The Edmonton Journal 2006
-----------------------------------------
This is democracy?
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
When reading Gary McPherson's letter, it began to sound to me like propaganda for the PC party to take over Alberta democracy.
The most outrageous statement is that, as an Albertan, I have a "duty" to join the PCs and vote for who would become Alberta's next premier. I'm sorry, McPherson. I have the right to choose to join your little party, but I have no duty to do so.
But even more interesting is that McPherson implies the election of the next PC leader is an opportunity to participate in this "most democratic process that is being made available to (Albertans)." So the internal workings of the PC party are more democratic than the actual election of our legislature? Is this what he could possibly mean?
If so, one would think the PCs would be all about democratic reform so that the election of our representatives, and not the election of one party leader, is the most democratic.
I'm keeping my $5 and will make my way to my local polling booth in the next provincial election.
Colin Robertson, Edmonton
© The Edmonton Journal 2006
-----------------------------------------
Paying to vote is wrong
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
With all due respect to Gary McPherson, I must take objection to classifying the upcoming Progressive Conservative leadership race as a democratic process.
Albertans have a right to determine who will govern their province. Not a privilege -- a right.
Can you imagine if you had to pay $5 every time you exercised your right to freedom of religion or freedom of expression? Being asked to pay a fee before being able to exercise my democratic right to vote is just as ludicrous.
Additionally, when you buy a membership to a political party, you are implicitly supporting that party and their values.
Albertans of various political leanings shouldn't have to sacrifice their ideals in order to help decide who should serve as the next leader of this province.
Furthermore, membership sales provide a financial benefit to the party. Try multiplying $5 by 80,000 (approximately the number of votes cast in the last leadership race). That's money which could have an impact on the outcome of the next provincial election.
When citizens are charged a fee before being allowed to vote for an individual to lead their province, then we need to make serious corrections to our "democratic" system.
Chris Samuel, Edmonton
© The Edmonton Journal 2006
-----------------------------------------
PCs arrogant
The Edmonton Journal
Published: Thursday, July 27, 2006
I am insulted by Gary McPherson's letter ("You don't have to be a lifelong Tory to have a say in choosing next premier," July 24).
McPherson's suggestion that the Alberta PC leadership race is just as important as an actual democratic election highlights the arrogance of the current governing party.
I, for one, am going to keep my $5 and wait for the next election to vote for my choice.
David Cournoyer, Edmonton
© The Edmonton Journal 2006
-----------------------------------------
I was going to rant about that anyway (pay to pick the premier? Seriously. I don't care if it's true, no one should be dumb enough to say it. Especially not in a newspaper that I read while drinking) but this worked so much better. I don't even have to be articulate and passionate. The point is made, and now I can skip straight to the inane punch line.
My contribution then, to the dear Mr. McPherson, silly Conservative kanigget esquire:
*ahem*

Now Go Away, or Whe Shall Taunt You a Fifth Time!


2 Comments:
Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»
Hi all!
For those who worries about health
Tramadol, Xanax, Phentermine, Skelaxin, Viagra, and all that is necessary.
Only for adults!
To not enter if to you is not present 18!
Welcome to Adult Porno & Sex.
G'luck!
Post a Comment
<< Home