Oh curse you, thou wretched capitalist demons
So, I was trying to see if anywhere in Edmonton is showing the Pirates movie at midnight tonight. I thought that my best bet would be Silver City Theatres, given that they have ridiculously numerous showtimes.
Notice how I didn't linke the words Silver City anywhere? I'd like to say that's because I'm lazy. I really would.
Actually, it's because, as the trusty Edmonton Moive Guide tells me that Silver City Cinema has been renamed.
That's right. The Scotiabank theatre.
I don't normally get scandalized by this crap. It happens all the time (Rexall Place, anyone?). But Scotiabank theatre anyone? I mean, banks are boring. Movies, in theory, aren't.
So who wants to go see a movie at a bank? Especially a bank in the already very annoying West Edmonton Mall. And a bank is a terrible tourist attraction. They have those everywhere.
In conclusion: gross.


1 Comments:
Well, it has to do with Onex, the owners of Cineplex. The boss of Onex, Gerry Schwartz who also works for Scotiabank. Plus, Scotia Plaza in Toronto built on the site of Famous Players' first theatre which opened in 1920. Cineplex bought Famous Players back in 2005. What a coincidence eh?
Post a Comment
<< Home